To the friends and family of Don McNeil:
Welcome to this Virtual Memorial, where we'll remember and celebrate Don on his birthday, July 4. Don didn't want a service, but he smiled at the idea of a memorial and we think he'd approve of these suggestions for the occasion.
1. WASH YOUR CAR. Even if it isn't dirty. (And no matter how big it is.)
2. MAKE A CUP OF COFFEE... then leave it there. Return a few hours later and microwave the stale coffee before drinking it.
3. MOW THE LAWN. Even if it doesn't need it.
4. SIT ON THE PORCH AND EAT A WHOLE CAN OF NUTS. (A slice of pie is an acceptable substitute.)
5. WEAR A PLAID SHIRT.
6. DO SOMETHING USING A REMOTE CONTROL. Even if it doesn't need doing. (Especially if it doesn't need doing.)
7. PUT ANOTHER LOG ON THE FIRE. (OK to skip this one until winter.)
8. WALK AROUND WITH A SCREWDRIVER AND FIND SOMETHING TO FIX WITH IT. (Example: Screws on electrical outlet plates should always be straight up and down.)
9. HAVE A COOKIE FOR BREAKFAST. And tuck a few spares in your pocket, just in case.
10. BE NICE TO JAN.